Sunday, October 9, 2022

Holiday-Tinged . . .

(in its entirety. . . ) 

Twas one night after season, when all through the condo,
Not a creature was dancing, not even the quando.
The spiderwebs hung from the decking with care
When the foot traffic ebbed and the tourists weren't there.
The children all visited when the weather was warm.
They'll come back in the winter if their schedules conform.
And mamma in bermudas and I in gym shorts,
Settled down for a movie and after-dinner snort,
When outside, in back, something whipped on the screen,
I uncrossed my legs to take in the strange scene.
Leaning forward, now abandoned my yoga position,
I directed my attention with quite some suspicion 
The summer night air was unusually cool
In the break from the swelter August gave as a rule.
During one of his thuds on the screen to break in,
We saw the huge luna moth that was making the din.
He had beautiful colors, circles tail and antennae.
Either angel from heaven. Maybe ghoul from Gehenna.
He bashed and he battered towards the light from inside.
Must have knocked himself silly. Would have made me cross-eyed.
Now luna, you're going to get a concussion.
If you've hit that screen once, must've hit it a dozen.
Perhaps to your eyes that light is attractive.
If you really got in, you would feel like a captive.
Should I turn off the lights, or turn the television off?
Should we be mouse-ly quiet, cease to talk, even cough?
So back into the woods, our poor luna friend flew.
Left our door screen alone.  Left our deck and house too.
But in some way I felt we had seen something great.
I was fortunate; lucky to have this be my fate.
So I turned off the light, closed the door and retired.
From excitement and wonder, I had simply expired. 
That episode done, I started to ponder 
My environment's changes since no tourists did wander.
I've seen space on the beaches, lots of room to spread out.
And the parking lots too seem a pleasure. No doubt. 
The boxes that formerly housed umbrellas and chairs,
Were all vertical in lots by the passthrough in pairs.
Lots of restaurants shelving utensils and vessels,
As the year-rounds prepare all their off-season specials. 
The specials sound great and they're such a nice deal.
If I only ate more, great advantage I'd feel.
The Cottage Cafe has fried oysters one night
And the wine is half-price o'er at Finn's, just in sight.
Everyone's got fish tacos, they are really quite good,
And in Ocean View there is number I could
Most certainly partake of, order something I do not
Eat at home on a basis that's regular - or forgot.
That's enough, I must say, about food, cause for sure
I eat plenty, delicious and healthful, be assured.
That's prolly enough 'bout my life at the beach.
I love every season, moments every and each.
I can highly recommend being here by the sea,
Even though not a member of the bourgeoisie.
I still drive my Toyota to the grocery and back,
With occasional detours tempting me from my track.
I must always be careful though, minding my speed,
There's a cop with a speed gun hiding behind that tree.




What do you think? Tell me at
https://rayjozwiak.com/contact