Sunday, December 18, 2022

Freeing . . .

(from https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/sports/soccer/qatar-and-russia-bribery-world-cup-fifa.html)
". . . After years of investigations and indictments, the United States Department of Justice . . . said for the first time that representatives working for Russia and Qatar had bribed FIFA officials to secure hosting rights for the World Cup in men’s soccer. . . . Prosecutors made the accusations in an indictment charging three media executives and a sports marketing company with a number of crimes, including wire fraud and money laundering, in connection with bribes to secure television and marketing rights for international soccer tournaments. . . "

". . . the culture in and around sports at all levels is consistently one of violence without consequence. Players from high school through to the pros seem to have a much higher chance of committing an over-the-line personal foul against another player in a game and suffering a suspension for a game or two than they do of committing an over-the-law offense against another human being in the real world and suffering any kind of meaningful legal consequences. . . These weren’t problems with just my teams, they were problems with virtually all teams. . . Despite the fact that I had very personal reasons to find the abusive behaviors of so many in professional and college sports especially abhorrent and despite the fact that I had professional reasons to stop supporting institutions who made a mockery of academic integrity, I chose to look the other way for a very long time in the name of indulging my favorite pastimes. It didn’t matter. . . Not keeping up with sports and not watching games has been a tremendous freeing up of my time, a much needed boon to my intellectual and creative development, a benefit to my psychological and physical health, and an overall worthwhile decision at this stage in my life. . ."
 
 
Free

- Chicago
 


What do you think? Tell me at
https://rayjozwiak.com/contact
Follow me on 

Visit Ray Jozwiak at: Website -
https://rayjozwiak.com

Other Ray Jozwiak Offerings
                   Chromatose