Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Relative . . .


(from The Baltimore Sun, May 9, 1980 https://www.afka.net/Articles/1980-05_The_Baltimore_Sun_1.htm)
"Going through life as Frank Zappa when you're not the real Frank Zappa can be very strange. Francis Vincent Zappa, 39, is a world famous guitarist/composer and founder of the now-defunct Mothers of Invention. He will bring his act to the Baltimore Civic Center Sunday -- Mother's Day. Francis Xavier Zappa, 26, works at the Giant Food store on Loch Raven boulevard. He will be moving to Seattle at the end of the month to enroll in scuba diving school. He's one of many Zappa relatives living in the musician's hometown of Baltimore. "It's weird. You tell people you're Frank Zappa and nobody believes it. When I went down to the department of motor vehicles to get my picture license, the guy called my name out over the speaker and everybody turned around and said, ‘Where? Where's he at? Where's Frank Zappa?’ "Frank X. Zappa says having a famous name hasn't caused him any problems ("it's a good way to meet girls, a real conversation piece") though he does have an unlisted phone number. '"When I lived at home people would call the house at all hours of the night and ask for Frank Zappa. My parents would think it was one of my friends and get me out of bed. I'd say ‘hello’ and the guy would say, ‘Hey Frank man, I really dig you in concert.’ A lot of the calls would be from out of town." Frank X. doesn't really know his famed cousin very well. In 1962, the younger Frank's dad, Joe Zappa, moved the family to California to open a restaurant ("Eat More") with his late brother, Francis Vincent Zappa, Sr. Frank X. was only 8 years old. (Joe and his family returned to Baltimore shortly thereafter.) "The last time I talked to him was when he played the Civic Center in 1975. I asked him if he really enjoyed all the music he put out, and I kind of got the feeling that he didn't. "I'm not going to the show Sunday. I wouldn't feel right bugging him for tickets when we never talk any other time. His music is too spacey for me. When it comes to free tickets, I'd rather have Bob Seger for a cousin." Frank X's final statement about the celebrated branch of his family tree was, "I'm going to be famous one day, too. Just give me some time."

 
You Are What You Is

- Frank Zappa
 


What do you think? Tell me at
https://rayjozwiak.com/contact
Follow me on 

Visit Ray Jozwiak at: Website -
https://rayjozwiak.com

Other Ray Jozwiak Offerings
                   Chromatose