Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My friend David. . .

. . . introduced me to what later became one of my major musical influences way back in the seventh grade. Our little, urban Catholic elementary school was, I'm sure, like most others. When we were young, many of our parents' generation (of the Catholic persuasion) had horror stories about 'discipline' in Catholic schools involving everything but water-boarding. To this day I'm not sure if these graphic stories were concocted merely to frighten us or if they actually were, in fact, true. Irrespective of the veracity of those tales, we (happily) never experienced the 'extreme' version of discipline on our school. I don't even remember a teacher (nun, priest or 'civilian') laying a hand on a student in my eight year Catholic education.

But back to David. Sister Mary Agnes just happened to have a Magnus organ in her classroom. (You can read about this magnificent instrument HERE) David had been playing this arpeggiated pattern on the Magnus during lunch period on a rainy day when we could not indulge in the usual dodge-ball game outside, which sounded like Bach (or Beethoven- not that I would have known the difference way back then); a sophisticated yet complex and compelling combination of broken chords. I insisted that David teach the pattern to me, which he did. I'd like to say that I clearly remember mastering the entire little song on the spot, but that would be a LIE. But I do know that I did learn it. David told me that it was called "Colour My World" by Chicago (now shortened from Chicago Transit Authority). I investigated the music of this wonderful, new (it was about 1971-2, so they may have been around for about 5 years by that time) rock band. And I can still say that Chicago (1968 - 1974) is most certainly one of my favorite rock (now 'historical' rock, I guess) bands and without a doubt, one whose music had a profound influence on my musical development.



Visit Doug Alan Wilcox's Website
Doug Alan Wilcox with Ray Jozwiak, Frederick Coffee Company, June 11 @ 8PM

Download your
very own copy of
ANOTHER SHOT
by Ray Jozwiak
Ray Jozwiak: Another Shot


Please Visit
http://www.rayjozwiak.com