Saturday, July 16, 2011

I can't help it. . .

. . . I just want to. . . PLAY!

Have you ever seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail? It's a hilarious spoof from the early 70's starring, written, directed, produced, conceived and whatever-else-you-can-think-of by Monty Python's Flying Circus (Michael Palin [no relation to you-know-who], John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones, Eric Idle and the late Graham Chapman) of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table mythology and their quest for the Holy Grail. There is a scene where a wealthy landowner has a son that he keeps sequestered in a tower as a result of his embarrassment. The son, who obviously does not measure up to the father's expectations of what a son should be, frequently states his ambition to SING! . . . at which time the father addresses the camera and puts the kabosh on the music swell that begins each time the son mentions his intention, and we hear the music die as if a turntable was switched off in the middle of the music.

Well, the piano is that way for me, like the son's burning desire to SING. What I mean is, I well understand the son's desire to SING! When I am creating music at the piano, I am taken away from all that is earthly. (Getting heavy here.) But seriously, music somehow has the ability to make me transcend my mortal circumstances and somehow soar to a place that's difficult to describe, but one that I like to visit frequently. The only (musical) thing better than that is doing the very same thing in front of an audience of people who are actually listening and apparently, somehow, moved also. (Hellava thing!)

This Monday Night, I will again appear at the Songwriters Showcase at Brewer's Alley Restaurant & Brewery in Frederick.
(124 North Market Street, Telephone: 301-631-0089, http://www.brewers-alley.com/) where I intend to impose Fractured Jazz and Improvisational Terror Tactics on the audience, much like this. . .



download your
very own copy of
ANOTHER SHOT
by Ray Jozwiak
Ray Jozwiak: Another Shot


Please Visit
http://www.rayjozwiak.com