Friday, May 13, 2011

What???...

. . . would. . .

In the 1990s the phrase “What would Jesus do?” became a fad among evangelical Christians. There were WWJD bracelets, t-shirts, and posters, and a host of mocking pop culture imitations such as "What would Scooby do?". The phrase “What would Jesus do?” originated in a novel titled In His Steps: What Would Jesus Do?, published in 1897 by Charles M. Sheldon. Sheldon was a Congregational minister in Topeka, Kansas, and a Progressive concerned with Christianity’s relationship to the social politics of his day.Now maybe you have seen it, but I, only yesterday, saw for the first time the "What would Sun Ra do?" bumper sticker and quite frankly, it sparked in me some serious thought.

First, of course, I thought, "WHAT would Sun Ra do about WHAT?" Then I thought that he most certainly would have something to say about the retirement of the space shuttle. He might have two cents to add about which museums in which cities the retired vessels would be displayed. He might have something to say about terrorism, shallow politics, greed and global warming. He always did exhibit concern for injustice.

Then I realized that I was probably barking up the wrong tree. Of course I, and any other fan of Sun Ra (with or without an Arkestra) should know without a doubt, exactly what Sun Ra would do. He would, obviously, PLAY. . . . .







Download your
very own copy of
ANOTHER SHOT
by Ray Jozwiak
Ray Jozwiak: Another Shot


Visit me at www.rayjozwiak.com