Friday, February 11, 2011

Oh Whey Oh. . .

Well, enough of that. Let's talk music.

Most middle-agers like me can well remember the huge, "boss, hit-bound single" Colour My World. In fact, it was a single for Chicago twice. Colour My World, in spite of its success, is only a small part of the Ballet for Girl in Buchanan, the suite which brought us the other top 40 hit Make Me Smile. (Great Stuff!!!)

Well I've been listening to the first four Chicago studio albums (Transit Authority, II, III and V) again, as I periodically do. And they never fail to move me. (I used to be able to play most of the music, solo on the accordion - an aural experience, I can certainly tell you, to behold.) And with each successive listen, I notice more and more of the profound musical influence Chicago's music has had on my playing. Even today, since so much of this music is ingrained in me, small snippets sneak out in the middle of my improvisation and writing.

Well, enough reminiscing. But, if you are inclined to look into some pop music history, check out early Chicago and concentrate on the first four studio albums. (the fourth Chicago album release was a live concert at Carnegie Hall, which is a treat in itself, but consists of live versions of the material on the other four.



(hear my music at http://www.rayjozwiak.com/)