Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Spice . . .

. . . of life is, of course, variety.


The etymology of the word itself bears that out.
(from http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=variety)
variety (n.) Look up variety at Dictionary.com
1530s, "change of fortunes," from Middle French variété and directly from Latin varietatem (nominative varietas) "difference, diversity; a kind, variety, species, sort," from varius "various" (see vary). Meaning diversity, absence of monotony" is from 1540s; that of "collection of different things" is from 1550s; sense of "something different from others" is from 1610s. In reference to music hall or theatrical performances of a mixed nature, first recorded 1868, American English.

variation (n.) Look up variation at Dictionary.com
late 14c., "difference, divergence," from Old French variacion "variety, diversity" and directly from Latin variationem (nominative variatio) "a difference, variation, change," from past participle stem of variare "to change" (see vary). The musical sense is attested from 1801. Related: Variational.


I discovered musical variations at quite a young age as my formal music education began at the age of seven. It seems to follow that I would be attracted to (and I now dislike using the word) 'jazz.' I remember reading about (and from) established and up-and-coming musicians within the genre when I took an interest in the mid-seventies. Many expressed a similar dislike, preferring to call their music simply, 'the music.' At the time I did not quite fully grasp the subtlety of that concept. Now I realize that I actually possess a great dislike of categorization of musical styles, although I do understand the necessity of it for commercial purposes and for discussion of music among those that do not personally create music.

So, you may ask, variations on what? I fear that, irrespective of my answer to that, you still will not believe me. Nevertheless, I do hope that you will listen. . .


Variations
©2017 Raymond M. Jozwiak




What do you think?
Tell me at
http://www.rayjozwiak.com/guestbook.html  or at
http://www.ohomusic.com 

My latest solo offering, No Frills, is now available at - No Frills

(To Access all Ray Jozwiak - Gonzo Piano music you can copy-and-paste this URL directly to
your browser:  http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/RayJozwiak)

Get your copy of OHO's  Where Words Do Not Reach now!
The Ocean City Ditty Video is now on YouTube
Also, be sure to visit: www.rayjozwiak.com and www.ohomusic.com