Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Different Perspective . . .

. . . than when I was eighteen. . .
After lunch downtown, I noticed a relatively crisp five-dollar bill on the ground, gently rocking in the wind just outside the door of the food court.  Surprising myself, I quickly stooped down and scooped it up.  I then, correcting myself for being so selfishly hasty, glanced left, right and behind me to ensure someone wasn’t searching for the note they just dropped or at least upon the verge of realizing that they just dropped it.  But alas, the few people within range were going about their business and none appeared to have dropped or missed anything. 

So I thought to myself, should I really have picked it up in the first place?  If I leave this bill on the ground in hopes that its owner returns to claim it, surely someone not far behind and in no greater need of it will pick it up instead.  And does someone else truly deserve such good fortune any more than I do?  Certainly not! 

Then I thought to myself, it’s only five dollars surely someone will chance upon who needs it more than I do, or let’s say needs it more than I WANT it.  But then I neatly dispensed with that notion for much the same reasons used to rationalize the previous dilemma.

Finally, I thought, what I’ll do is give it to the next homeless or otherwise unfortunate person, or possibly street entertainer or musician that I encounter en route to my destination.  But my walk was probably no more than 500 feet or so and, although I have from time to time encountered a needy person on the very same short route before, there was not a soul in my path that was loitering, begging or otherwise in apparent need of my new found currency.  So I placed it in my pocket and entered the building.




What do you think?
Tell me at
http://www.rayjozwiak.com/guestbook.html

OHO's "Ocean City Ditty," the CD single is now available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/oho4
(and, if you're in town, at Trax On Wax on Frederick Rd. in Catonsville, MD) OHO is Jay Graboski, David Reeve & Ray Jozwiak

My latest solo release, '2014' of original, instrumental piano music, can be downloaded digitally at:

Ray Jozwiak: 2014

(or you can copy-and-paste this URL directly to
your browser:  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/rayjozwiak4)

Also, be sure to visit:
http://www.rayjozwiak.com

PIANOGONZOLOGY - Blogged My 
Zimbio
blog search directory Blog Directory