Monday, October 3, 2011

More on competition. . .

. . . I don't know why.

Even wineries/vineyards engage in the practice of competition. Oh, I understand why. But still I find competition to be a process that only promotes dirty politics, ill will, the desire to circumvent the customary and the accepted. In short; much ado about nothing. Well, almost nothing. I do see the marketing value in the venture but I still am uncomfortable with it.

from the Los Angeles International Wine and Spirits Competition website. . .
"Seven decades of tradition began shortly after the end of prohibition, when the annual L.A. County Fair began awarding medals to the finest wines in California. The competition achieved world-class status, attracting wines from North and South America and finally in 2002, opening the doors to wine entries from around the world. Today, the event includes spirits and extra virgin olive oils. The judging panel has grown to nearly 100 judges from all parts of the globe."

The competition also is the foundation for an extensive wine education program that’s available to 1.4 million visitors to the L.A. County Fair. Public wine tasting began in 1968; in 1998 a wine education center opened, complete with consumer-driven classes, tastings and a display of the award-winning wines. The Los Angeles International Wine & Spirits Competition is committed to educating the public about wine, featuring industry experts with extensive knowledge about wine growing and selection, wine tasting and wine and food pairings. . . "

In an earlier post I bellyached about competition and how I was never good at anything nor would I ever be and that even in my musical endeavors I find the entire concept of competing simply nauseating. Well, maybe it's the politician in me (he's very, very tiny mind you) or just the fact that these 'kudos' must occasionally be pursued in order to flaunt them in the marketing of one's 'wares' as it were, but I did submit an entry in a songwriting contest recently AND, also threw my artistic 'hat' into the ring in an awards competition held in the Washington DC area annually. I never get my hopes too unrealistically high about winning these things as I did when I first began to market my music, but one always harbors that secret wish that, who knows, maybe this time I really will win.




What do YOU think?
http://www.rayjozwiak.com/guestbook.html

Download your
very own copy of
ANOTHER SHOT
by Ray Jozwiak
Ray Jozwiak: Another Shot



Please Visit
http://www.rayjozwiak.com




My Zimbio
Top Stories