Thursday, March 24, 2011

Jokes about disasters. . .

. . . don't really move move me. But they are inevitable.

Gilbert Gottfried was fired from his job as the Aflac duck because he made some insensitive jokes (Tweets) regarding the recent disasters in Japan. Like. . . What do the Japanese have in common with Howard Stern? They're both RADIO ACTIVE. (one is enough. . . no, MORE than enough. . . you get the point.)

But after some thought, I concluded that yes, they were tasteless in that the disaster is too fresh and too horrible to begin joking about. But deep down, I know that it was only a matter of time before there would be jokes circulating by email (initially, then by other more archaic means) just as there were about the demise of Princess Diana and the crash of John Kennedy Jr's plane. (and even 911 - "The FBI has just identified the man who trained the hijackers: Dale Earnhardt."

BAD. But necessary. . . and human.

Look, I'm no judge of taste, morals, class or humor. But I do know that we all make mistakes. (Hell, I've lost count of mine!)
And we all like to laugh.

Gilbert deleted his tasteless Tweets. Maybe we shouldn't be so hard on him. It certainly doesn't mean we don't CARE any less or that we won't HELP as best we can to assist or try to help relieve the pain the victims of the tragedies in Japan. Why, I'll bet even Gilbert himself would like to help. At least I'd like to think so.



hear my music at www.rayjozwiak.com